Wednesday, September 9, 2009

THREE.

So, it's been a week since I arrived in London and although it feels like I've been here for months there's still so much more for me to see! I've gotten a handle on the Underground but I'm still learning the whole bus system. "Time Out London" is officially my favorite magazine and if anyone ever comes to London pick up a copy of it as soon as possible- it's a life saver. Basically it lists all of the events and things to do or see in London in the upcoming week and it comes out on Wednesdays so it gives you time to plan out your weekend - the Brits know how to plan ahead!

Some of the highlights over the past couple of days have been:

Rockabilly Club
Saturday night at midnight this small venue turns into a Rockabilly club. I have to admit I was very skeptical about going to this but it ended up exceeding my expectations so much. Since it starts at midnight you have time to go to pubs or bars in the area until closing and then venture over the the club. At first, the club was not too lively but sure enough around 1:30 it became packed with a combination of all sorts of people my favorites were the guys dressed in 50's outfits. We danced into the am and I had my first ride on a London bus back to our flat.

Richmond Park
On Sunday, a few friends and I trekked out to the very south west edge of London to the area known as Richmond. If I had to compare Richmond to somewhere in the US it would be Cambridge, Mass. except its much better. It's the sort of area that really makes you feel like you're on the set of a movie with its cobblestone streets and boutiques and local pubs. We made our way over to Richmond park with a bag full of picnic supplies and set ourselves down in front of a small pond and enjoyed cous cous hummus naan and of course some rosé! It was almost too good to be true - but it was real! It was such a fun beautiful day and the perfect way to spend a Sunday.


Monday was the first day of classes- and although it didn't go all that smoothly I got through it! After revising my schedule my classes are now: London Theatre- Shock of the New, Marketing, Writers in Exile, and English Architecture. My architecture class alternates between a lecture and a visit to a historic building in London every other week, so this Monday I will be visiting Westminster Abbey! My theatre class also involves visits and the first one is to see 'As You Like It' at the Globe Theatre. I'd say my classes aren't looking to shabby this semester.

On Wednesday after class I went to Camdentown with a few friends to see what its infamous markets are all about. Now I understand the hype- it was incredible. it was just row after row after row of vendors selling clothes and bags and shoes and souvenirs all for good prices by London standards. As if all of the shopping wasn't enough there's an entire section dedicated to just stands with food from every culture you can think of...that definitely was not my last visit to Camdentown!

Regent's College doesn't have classes on Fridays so my weekend now starts at Thursday at 11 am. Rough, right? So yesterday after class I ventured down Baker Street into Oxford Circus and did a little shopping - it was clearly out of necessity because I need to keep up with the London fashion! Thursday night myself and 9 other people from my building went to a pub in Piccadilly Circus called O'Neill's- so much fun. It was three floors the first was just strictly a bar, the second was a bar and a dj, and the third was a bar and a live band. We ended up on the third floor dancing to covers of the killers, kings of leon, lynard skynard, and tons of others. We had so so much fun and we met a lot of new people there!




Things to look forward to: trip to Buckingham palace, 'As You Like It', Westminster Abbey, Oktoberfest, and hopefully a visit to Florence!

1 comment:

  1. Kat this sounds amazing!!
    PS. Wine is a picnik must :]

    <3 Kim

    ReplyDelete